Sushi has become very popular in America. However, there is a big difference between what Japanese people imagine when they hear the word ‘Sushi’ and the actual food that is served at the restaurant. In my opinion, what they serve at American Sushi restaurants is not Sushi at all. It is delicious, but it is not Sushi! Here are some pictures of Sushi from my last trip to America this summer.
- Miso soup, ginger, soy sauce, and pickled cucumber. Seems normal so far…
- Tuna nigiri sushi and inari sushi. Looks normal. Except for the sauce on the inari sushi. I think it was sweet soy sauce. Too salty for me…
- The California Roll. Most Japanese people I have spoken with think this is what American Sushi is like. But this is still normal… this still looks like sushi!
- Now the sushi is getting stranger. On the right is hamachi (with hot sauce!). In the middle is unagi. And on the left… that is called ‘Upside-down’ shrimp. Instead of shrimp on top of rice, the rice is on top of the shrimp. Then crab and sauce are added on top of that.
- This is sushi in America. It is a sushi roll that is deep-fried. Then they cut it, add hot sauce and a sweet sauce. Delicious… but definitely not sushi!